Robert Lehrman is the Chairman of the Board of the Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington , D.C. He is one of the leading collectors of contemporary art in America and has been included in the "Top 100 Collectors" issues of Art News and Art & Antiques. Mr. Lehrman has been a patron of the arts and an active supporter and board member of many art organizations including:
- The Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C.
- The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- The New Museum, New York, N.Y.
- The Washington Project for the Arts, Washington, D.C.
- The Aspen Art Museum, Aspen, CO.
- The Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts, Washington, D.C.
Robert Lehrman has been collecting art since 1979 and has focused primarily on the "art of our times." His collection includes both American and European contemporary art. His collection of Joseph Cornell's art is one of the most comprehensive anywhere and of the highest quality.
Robert Lehrman graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor's Degree in English and continued his education at the George Washington University National Law Center where he received his Doctorate.
He currently serves as the President of the Jacob & Charlotte Lehrman Foundation, Inc.